Thursday, October 24, 2002
With a state-playoff berth already in the bag, the HRV football team will go for four in a row on Friday when it travels to Prineville to face the 1-4 Crook County Cowboys.
The Cowboys are coming off a 35-8 defeat at the hands of first-place Hermiston, and are looking to snap a three-game losing streak behind the Intermountain Conference’s second-leading passer, Chad Swindle (876 yards in six games).
Swindle and his two prime targets, Mike Tracy (331 receiving yards in five games) and Justin Barden, will attempt to exploit an oft-beleaguered HRV secondary that was picked apart last Friday by Pendleton’s Brian Nooy for 263 yards.
“This week, we’re going to try to play for four quarters instead of three,” coach Mitch Sanders told his players after Friday’s comeback win. “We’re still shooting for 8-1 and if we’re going to continue to play this well in the playoffs, we can’t afford to let up for anyone.”
Not even Crook County, which is staring at an 0-5 finish if it can’t turn things around against the high-powered Eagles this week, or Redmond next week. Swindle and his undersized line will look to air it out on Friday in hopes of salvaging a late-season win against an Eagles team that has little to play for after clinching a playoff berth last week.
Gametime is 7 p.m. in Prineville. The KIHR 1340 AM radio broadcast will begin at 6:30 p.m.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- HRVST Osprey swimmers post state-qualifying times at Howard Jones invitationals in Gresham
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge