Friday, October 25, 2002
Anne Holmstrom from Cascade Locks was awarded the 2002 Klahre Award presented at the Mid-Columbia Symposium of Children on Oct. 4. The Klahre Award was started in 1987 to recognize volunteers who have made outstanding achievement on behalf of children. Volunteers from Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Klickitat and Skamania counties were honored at the 2002 ceremony.
Holmstrom was selected because of her commitment to helping and teaching children throughout Hood River County. She was recognized for her contribution to the 4-H Youth Development program, as she is starting her 16th year as a volunteer leader.
Her role as a leader has extended beyond the 4-H club leader position; she serves as two 4-H department superintendents at the Hood River County Fair. Holmstrom has also worked on many 4-H committees and assisted in the coordination of educational programs. She also has mentored many new 4-H leaders in the Cascade Locks area.
While her passion is 4-H, working with the schools is her avocation. Over the years she has spent countless hours helping in the schools of Cascade Locks. In addition to working in the classroom as a teacher’s helper, she has been an active member of PTO for 16 years, serving as president for six years. Holmstrom also has helped coordinate or chair many worthwhile PTO projects ranging from establishing a book carnival to encourage reading to working on the Halloween Carnival. One of the major projects she co-chaired was raising $15,000 for new playground equipment.
In addition to working with 4-H, PTO, and in the schools, Holmstrom has served on the advisory board of New Parent Services, is on the Cascade Locks School Visioning Committee, and is active in her church.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- HRVST Osprey swimmers post state-qualifying times at Howard Jones invitationals in Gresham
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge