Tuesday, September 10, 2002
A Lower Valley orchard worker was crushed to death by a tractor on Saturday evening.
Serafin Rodriguez Rivera, 47, was pronounced dead at the scene on Eastside Road after falling off the front forks of the farm equipment. The accident occurred while he was being given a ride back to his Paasch Drive quarters by his friend, Omar Monge, 28.
According to Hood River sheriff reports, Monge had brought Rivera to the property of Bruce Dethman to help repair a broken sprinkler pipe earlier that afternoon. When that problem was fixed, he decided to give Rivera a tractor ride back to his home on an adjoining property. However, during that journey Rivera fell and Monge was allegedly unable to stop the equipment before running over him.
Dethman was then notified of the situation and immediately called 9-1-1 for help. Deputies arrived a few minutes later, accompanied by Pine Grove firefighters and officials from the Oregon State Patrol. But rescuers could not resuscitate Rivera and he was prounced dead at the scene by the medical examiner. Rivera was transported to Anderson’s Tribute Center in Hood River.
An autopsy in Portland on Monday revealed that he died from massive internal injuries. No charges have been filed and the case has been forwarded to Hood River District Attorney John Sewell for further review.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge