Tuesday, September 10, 2002
Saturday’s breezy, warm weather brought crowds to the Hood River Marina for Hoodstock, a day-long music festival that was part of the week-long series, “From Ground Zero to Common Ground,” sponsored by the Columbia River Fellowship for Peace in commemoration of 9-11.
Local bands played almost continuously on the stage throughout the afternoon and evening — 10 in all — while kids participated in organized activities and everyone enjoyed the multiple food vendors on hand.
“It was a huge success,” said organizer Peg Lalor. The entire event was put on by volunteers, and all bands donated their performances.
“Everybody was so psyched to donate their time,” said Lalor, who had to turn some bands away after all the time slots were filled.
In addition, local companies from Your Rental Center to the Hood River Garbage Service donated equipment and services for the day’s events. Proceeds from the suggested $5 donation will help defray costs of the Peace Fellowship’s week-long series.
A highlight of the event turned out to be the youth speakers, who were invited to talk between performances about their views of current events and the world’s future.
“Our idea was to hear from the youth,” Lalor said. “It’s their world to inherit.”
Speakers, who ranged in age from 13 to 24, talked about everything from their reaction to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to their opinions about the U.S. attacking Iraq.
Lalor commended the more than 30 volunteers who helped with Hoodstock — many of whom worked 50 or more hours on the event.
“It was inspiring,” she said.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge