Tuesday, September 17, 2002
BEND — Margie Byrne of Hood River pulled out a thrilling three-set victory in the deciding singles match last weekend to help the local 3.5 women’s tennis team win the Sunriver Team Cup Challenge.
Byrne and her teammates Darla Coyner, Marilyn Smith, Gena Martinez and Renata Aug-enstein — who train with Kevin Beeson at the Hood River Sports Club — defeated Eugene 2-1 in the semifinals and Corvallis 2-1 in the finals to finish first in the field of 26 teams.
“We took second last year and really wanted to go back this year and win it all,” said Smith. “This was a pretty big deal for us.”
The 12th annual Sunriver Team Cup Challenge is one of the most popular events in the Northwest, and attracts many of the top players from Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California.
The team competition features various divisions of United States Tennis Association ranked teams, and consists of two doubles and one singles match per round. The group of five locals will continue to play into October, and will resume again in March 2003.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge