Tuesday, September 17, 2002
BEND — Margie Byrne of Hood River pulled out a thrilling three-set victory in the deciding singles match last weekend to help the local 3.5 women’s tennis team win the Sunriver Team Cup Challenge.
Byrne and her teammates Darla Coyner, Marilyn Smith, Gena Martinez and Renata Aug-enstein — who train with Kevin Beeson at the Hood River Sports Club — defeated Eugene 2-1 in the semifinals and Corvallis 2-1 in the finals to finish first in the field of 26 teams.
“We took second last year and really wanted to go back this year and win it all,” said Smith. “This was a pretty big deal for us.”
The 12th annual Sunriver Team Cup Challenge is one of the most popular events in the Northwest, and attracts many of the top players from Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California.
The team competition features various divisions of United States Tennis Association ranked teams, and consists of two doubles and one singles match per round. The group of five locals will continue to play into October, and will resume again in March 2003.
More like this story
- OSAA 5A SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS Late-game heroics by Lauren Decker, Hannah McNerney send HRV to the 5A quarterfinals
- Death Notices for May 27: Sharon Mills, Donna Schnell and Scott Zorza
- Service Announcements for May 27: Randy Van Woert and Thomas Ford
- Next Walking Tour June 5
- Lyle Pioneer Days return May 27
- CASA launches 2017 Playhouse Raffle
- YESTERYEARS: Ross, Daphne Hukari Animal Shelter opens in 2007
- ‘Guy, Guitar, Girl’: young actor seeks film support
- A ‘transforming gift’
- Author signing June 3 at HR Farmers’ Market
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge