Tuesday, September 17, 2002
BEND — Margie Byrne of Hood River pulled out a thrilling three-set victory in the deciding singles match last weekend to help the local 3.5 women’s tennis team win the Sunriver Team Cup Challenge.
Byrne and her teammates Darla Coyner, Marilyn Smith, Gena Martinez and Renata Aug-enstein — who train with Kevin Beeson at the Hood River Sports Club — defeated Eugene 2-1 in the semifinals and Corvallis 2-1 in the finals to finish first in the field of 26 teams.
“We took second last year and really wanted to go back this year and win it all,” said Smith. “This was a pretty big deal for us.”
The 12th annual Sunriver Team Cup Challenge is one of the most popular events in the Northwest, and attracts many of the top players from Oregon, Washington, Idaho and California.
The team competition features various divisions of United States Tennis Association ranked teams, and consists of two doubles and one singles match per round. The group of five locals will continue to play into October, and will resume again in March 2003.
More like this story
- Service announcement for Nov. 25
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge