Tuesday, September 17, 2002
BEND — The HRV volleyball team began Intermountain Conference competition last Friday, playing two matches after a brutal three-hour bus ride.
Barely off the bus, the Eagles had to face another conference newcomer, Summit, which is beginning its second season in the IMC.
Although the Eagles lost in three straight sets (25-8, 25-12, 25-15), they gradually improved in each game, and gave coach Molly Kissinger a few positives to build upon.
“The biggest positive was our serve-receive,” said the first-year head coach. “We worked on that a lot last week in practice, and the girls definitely upped their level of play in that regard.”
However, Kissinger said the team still needs to work on its serving and passing.
“We’re still establishing who our setters are going to be,” she said. “That position involves a lot of pressure, and we need to make a few of the players comfortable in that role.”
The Eagles’ work wasn’t done after the Summit match, as it took on one of the IMC’s top teams, Mountain View, in the night cap.
Despite a solid first game, in which the Eagles played right with the Cougars to an 8-8 tie, there were fewer bright spots in the second match. In the end, Mountain View prevailed by a count of 25-10, 25-4 and 25-8.
“This league is going to be no walk in the park,” Kissinger said. “But we’re continuing to improve and work on playing together as a group.”
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge