Wednesday, September 18, 2002
The Aspire Program at Hood River Valley High School is back for a second year. The program’s mission this year is to build on the foundation put in place last year for connecting students with volunteers from the community.
Aspire trains and matches Aspire advisers (volunteers from the community) with students at HRVHS. The ultimate goal is to help students research and identify college admissions information and locate scholarship opportunities. In order to accomplish this, the Aspire Program Developer matches Aspire advisers with students in a one-to-one mentoring relationship. They meet once a week or every other week at the school.
The Aspire program offers a great opportunity for parents of students who are currently enrolled at HRVHS or parents who have kids at home who will be attending high school within the next few years. But anyone interested in connecting with their local public schools is invited to inquire about becoming an Aspire adviser.
“Our local schools are only as good as the community members who support (them),” said Vince Ferguson, Aspire program developer. “This is a great way to get involved with your local schools.”
The Aspire program is currently seeking potential advisers interested in learning more. Advisers must be prepared to volunteer two to four hours per week, have a desire to work and communicate with teenage students, and help track the students they are matched with. For more information contact Vince Ferguson at 387-5034 or by e-mail at HoodRiverAspire@yahoo.com.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge