Wednesday, September 18, 2002
Horizon falls to 0-2 with 5-0 loss
The Horizon Christian soccer team absorbed its second consecutive early-season defeat Saturday with a 5-0 loss to new conference foe Umatilla. The Hawks were able to stay in the game until mid-way through the second half, but gave up three late goals to spell their downfall. Monday’s home game versus Riverdale was cancelled due to transportation problems for the visiting team. The Hawks’ next game is today at Columbia Christian.
Cross-country teams travel to Seaside
The boys and girls cross-country teams from HRV will travel to the coast this weekend for the three-state Seaside Invitational. More than 1,300 athletes are expected to compete in the event, which begins at 10 a.m. Saturday at Camp Rilea in Warrenton. The annual event is a three-course challenge — easy, medium, hard — and typically features some sections of running through water.
HR Billiards expands fall hours
Hood River Billiards is expanding its fall hours and will be offering more competition-style tables to play on every week. They plan to offer a minimum of five tables, including a professional nine-foot table and two eight-footers that are already in use. Friday through Sunday daytime hours will stay the same (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.), but new evening hours Wednesday through Saturday (6-10 p.m.) are starting now. A tournament schedule has also been posted: Wednesday 8-ball (6 p.m.), Friday 9-ball (6 p.m.) and Saturday straight pool (4 p.m.) In addition, the Chess Club officially begins this Thursday at 6 p.m. Soft and hard dart boards are also available. Stop by HR Billiards, located next to the old Antique Mall.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge