Wednesday, September 25, 2002
The HRV junior varsity football team posted 40-plus points for the third straight game Thursday (Sept. 19), whooping up on the Summit Storm 53-6 to start the season 3-0.
Sophomore running back Adam Brown ran for 251 yards and scored five touchdowns — including four in the first half — behind a powerful effort by the offensive line.
“The O-line is what makes it all happen,” said Brown, who averaged an eye-popping 14 yards per carry. “We couldn’t do it without them. Just look at ‘em. These guys could challenge a lot of varsity lines.”
Brown and his backfield mates, Garrick Fisher, Alejandro Lozano, Erik Flory and Adam Mack combined for 441 rushing yards. Fisher and Lozano accounted for the Eagles’ other two touchdowns.
Lozano, who rushed for 95 yards, also added a 25-yard field goal and converted five of seven extra-point attempts. Rounding out the offensive stats was quarterback Dennis Methvin, who completed three passes to Bryan Williams for 81 yards.
“We’re getting close to where we want to be,” said Methvin, whose team has now won eight straight games going back to the 2001 freshman football season. “We have a lot of confidence, and it’s nice to know that we can beat teams up inside and have the speed to take them to the outsides.”
Methvin also grabbed one of three HRV interceptions on the day, joining Mack and Williams in the defensive stat book. Williams, the team’s middle linebacker, totaled 15 tackles and recorded a sack to take home unofficial co-Defensive Player of the Game honors with Casey Vannet.
Vannet, an outside linebacker, accounted for eight tackles, a safety and a fumble recovery. Also having big defensive days were Alex Dominguez (8 tackles) and Josh McHale (4 tackles, fumble recovery).
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge