Tuesday, April 15, 2003
HOOD RIVER — Summit and Mountain View traveled to Hood River on Friday, hoping to steal away a couple road wins from the young HRV boys tennis team.
And, while there were a number of close matches, both Intermountain Conference foes made good on their goals, defeating the Eagles 6-2 and 5-1, respectively.
Sophomore No. 1 singles player Alec Asbridge won his first match of the day over Summit’s Max Liberty. After losing the first set 2-6, Asbridge came back to win the last two sets, 7-5 and 7-6.
Junior No. 2 Sean Ritter lost his first match of the day by a 6-3, 6-4 count, but helped HRV avoid an afternoon sweep at the hands of Mountain View, beating Danny Campagna 6-4, 6-0.
Freshman Matt Byrne played No. 3 singles and won his first match over Summit’s Casey Mason by a score of 7-5, 6-4. His second match was rained out, along with junior No. 4 Alex Lozano, who lost 6-2, 6-4 against his Summit opponent.
HRV was without a few of its top players, such as top doubles players Joseph Broschart and Erin Herman, which forced coach Shayla Moline to juggle the lineup.
Pepe Contreras jumped up to No. 1 doubles and played with junior Cam Emerson, who normally plays with Broschart or Herman.
Jimmy Oates and Florensio Cobarrubias played No. 2 doubles, while Sean Tamura and Joe Yang teamed up on the No. 3 team. Cliff Cook, Jeff Fenwick and Alonzo Trejo shared time playing No. 4 doubles.
Next up for the Eagles is an April 19 tournament at Century High School. Their next IMC matches are April 25-26 in the Bend area.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge