Wednesday, April 16, 2003
State Schools Superintendent Susan Castillo has announced that Christy Paul, a senior at Hood River Valley High School, has been selected to serve on her Youth Advisory Team.
The group’s next meeting will be in Salem on May 9 at the Oregon Department of Education. Ed Dennis, Castillo’s Chief of Staff, coordinates the advisory team and is assisted by Kelsey Jones, an intern from Oregon State University.
“During my campaign, I knew I wanted to have the benefit of the advice of a diverse group of students,” Castillo said. “I expect this group to play a key role in changing and improving public education in Oregon by using their experiences as students to inform state leaders, educators, and community members.”
“Today, the House Revenue Committee of the Oregon Legislature invited the Youth Advisory Team to bring their suggestions for solving the school funding crisis before the committee this spring,” Castillo said.
Paul, age 18, is currently a senior at Hood River Valley High School in Hood River. Paul is involved with her school’s Spanish club, National Honor Society, cross country and track teams.
“I wanted to be a part of Castillo’s Youth Advisory Team because students have always been underrepresented at the state level when it comes to improving or changing the status quo of the education system,” Paul said.
“I think the most important issue facing students at my school and across Oregon right now is the distribution of funds among a wide variety of valued and necessary programs.”
For more information regarding the Superintendent’s Youth Advisory Team, please see:
More like this story
- Heights house fire roars up Friday
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge