Friday, August 8, 2003
Erika Lily Castro of Hood River was recently selected to participate in the Nationals’ 2003 Miss Teen Portland pageant competition that will take place on Aug. 24. Castro learned of her acceptance into this year’s competition as Nationals, Inc. announced their selections on Monday afternoon. Castro submitted an application and took part in an interview session that was conducted by Patty Neidert, this year’s Portland Pageant Coordinator.
“Some of the things that I hope to accomplish from this pageant are to make new friends, learn as much as I can, and to get as much experience as I can out of it as well,” Castro Said.
Castro will be competing, for her share of over $20,000 in scholarships, prizes, and specialty gifts that will be distributed to contestants. Castro will be competing in the Miss Teen division, one of three divisions that will have participants between the ages of 10 and 19 competing in modeling routine which include casual wear and formal wear.
Castro will also display her personality and interviewing skills while interviewing with this year’s Portland judging panel. Personality is the number one aspect that each contestant is judged on during all phases of competition.
If Castro were to win the title of Miss Teen Portland, she would represent Portland and the surrounding communities at the Cities of America National Competition that will take place in Orlando, Florida. Over $60,000 in prizes and awards will be presented at the National Competition while each winner enjoys this expense paid trip of five nights and six days in Orlando.
There is no cost to Castro for participation in the pageant competition. Castro has been sponsored by both Aaron and Associates and Bickford Orchards. Through sponsorship, each contestant receives all the necessary training, rehearsals, and financial support which will allow Castro to become a very confident and well-prepared contestant in this year’s Portland Pageant.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge