Friday, August 15, 2003
Hood River law enforcement officials came under attack when they attempted to break up a fight involving multiple subjects at the waterfront on Sunday.
Six men were charged for taking aggressive action toward county deputies and city police and/or participating in the altercation. The incident reportedly occurred following a wedding at the Expo Center. Law enforcement authorities were called to the scene shortly before 8 p.m. and told that a crowd of at least 30 people was gathered outside of the building and that possible shots had been fired.
They pulled into the parking lot and observed that numerous subjects were yelling and taking punches at each other. The fight reportedly started when two of the men attacked a 31-year-old male from Hood River and his friends came to the defense. The victim was transported by ambulance to Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital for medical treatment of abrasions and contusions.
According to reports, the aggressors were ordered by the approaching officers to lie down on the ground but refused that directive. When the order was repeated, the crowd began to advance on the officers — about the same time that backup patrol units arrived.
Deputies and police then allegedly attempted to calm the hostile mood of the crowd during the next few minutes. Several minor scuffles broke out and one officer reported being struck in the mouth and another that he had been shoved.
The following Hood River residents were arrested for disorderly conduct and interfering with the duties of a police officer: Jimmy I. Pacheco, 23, Jose R. Rivera, 20, Eric Villagomez-Lopez, 19, Oscar Avalos, 21, and David Villagomez-Lopez, 22. Also arrested on the same charges was Arturo O. Maciel, 33, of Kelso, Wash. No weapon was found at the scene although witnesses claimed to have heard a gunshot.
All six men were arraigned on Monday and are being held in NORCOR.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge