Friday, August 15, 2003
The Art & Soul gala happens tonight at the soon-to-be Columbia Center for the Arts, 3rd and Cascade streets in Hood River. From 6 to 11 p.m., the public will get a preview of what’s to come at the future arts center.
The gala will feature samplings of performing arts — including performances by some of the Hair cast and the comedy improv troupe Perpetual Commotion — as well as music and dance. In addition to an opera singer, three bands — Savant Garde, Bigger of Two, and Swing Crew — will provide live entertainment. A mini-art gallery will be set up, with a small art auction to take place during the event. Hors d’oeuvres by City Market and beverages by Full Sail Brewing and local vineyards will be provided. Admission is $5.
The gala is the kickoff for a community fundraising campaign to raise money to purchase the building (which is being held by a private entity) and do renovations for the accommodation of the CAST theatre and the Columbia Art Gallery. In addition, the center will provide space for arts education and other cultural events.
“It’s going to be a very festive evening,” said Judie Hanel, chair of the center.
More like this story
- Service announcement for Nov. 25
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
- Ornament sale benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge