Tuesday, August 26, 2003
From staff reports
HOOD RIVER — The home-field advantage wasn’t all it was cracked up to be last weekend for two of the three local Gorge Youth Football teams.
Hood River Green moved to 2-0 with a 44-0 win over The Dalles Black, but HR Blue and HR Purple each dropped to 1-1 with a pair of close losses at Henderson Stadium.
Purple fell 21-16 to The Dalles White, while Blue dropped a narrow 8-0 decision to a rugged Stevenson squad.
“We may have beaten them if we had all of our kids there,” said Blue coach Marty Sanders. “But we still played pretty solid with four of our key players on vacation. Stevenson is going to be tough for anyone to beat this year.”
All three teams will take Labor Day weekend off and then return to action on Sept. 6. Blue plays White Salmon Red, while Purple takes on Stevenson. Green will travel to The Dalles to face Red.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge