Saturday, February 1, 2003
The Hood River Valley High School ski program continued its strong early-season run last Saturday at Anthony Lakes with two second-place finishes, both for the teams and the individuals.
Senior Candice Hoag led the girls team with a second-place finish and a combined time of 1:37.03, while freshman Tyler Nelson paced the boys with his own second-place finish and a combined time of 1:22.75.
Both teams took second to league-favorite Sandy in the team standings, and recorded five top 10 individual finishes on the day.
For the girls , sophomore Shanna Cochran placed fourth overall with a combined time of 1:43.94, and freshman Jessica McMorran placed 14th with a two-run time of 2:03.64. Sophomore Aileen Herlitz (28th, 2:43.72) and senior Lindsay Heppe (32nd, 3:06.17) rounded out the varsity girls results.
On the boys side, junior Luke Pennington followed Nelson with a fifth-place finish and a combined time of 1:27.34. Senior Justin Wiley also skied his way into the top 10 with a seventh place finish (1:29.48).
Freshman Tony Guisto made his way into 15th place with a time of 1:48.60, and was the last member of the HRV boys team to cross the finish line. Teammates Fletcher Hukari and Kyle Griffith posted DNF’s (Did Not Finish).
The Sandy boys won the team competition by placing three skiers in the top five and four in the top six overall.
Kevin Todd led the way for the Pioneers with a winning time of 1:20.87, and was followed by Cooper Raasch (3rd, 1:25.06), Josh Kanable (4th, 1:26.69), and Eli McMahan (6th, 1:28.40).
Sandy’s Lauren Vermaas topped the girls standings with a combined time of 1:34.11, while teammate Kelsey Borge took third overall in a time of 1:38.43.
The next Mt. Hood Conference ski race is scheduled for today at Timberline. The state competition is scheduled for late February.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 16
- Gorge Happiness Month: Mandy Kurfurst uses ‘The Daily Three’ to center herself
- Police Log, Nov. 27 to Dec. 10
- ‘Operation Christmas Child’ sets collection record for 2017 campaign
- FutureBus visits Cascade Locks Elementary
- History Museum of Hood River County hosts open house Saturday
- Pet of the Week: Gus the Yorkie is ‘sweetest in town’
- Kegler's Corner: Rod Pratt Bowls Bigly
- ‘Loving Vincent’ Dec. 20 at CCA
- How to help during the holidays