Tuesday, February 18, 2003
There are no known suspects in last week’s shooting death of Faustino Garcia Garcia of Hood River but a full scale investigation is underway.
“There is no new information on this case but detectives are continuing to follow up on all leads,” said Hood River District Attorney John Sewell.
He is asking that anyone who was in the area of 17th and Eugene streets between 4 and 6 a.m. on Feb. 12, or who has any possible information about the case, call Hood River Police Detective Andy Rau at 387-5251.
A Rosary for Garcia will take place tonight at 7 p.m. in St. Mary’s Catholic Church. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday in the church and Garcia will be buried at a later date in his home village of Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico.
His wife and four children believe the 52-year-old victim was killed after chasing a burglar away from their West Eugene Street home in the early morning hours last Wednesday. After he was reported missing, Sheriff’s Detective Gerry Tiffany patrolled through the neighborhood and discovered Garcia’s body at about 7:30 a.m. in a vacant lot off 17th Street, just behind the Hood River Middle School.
Last week the search for his killer began with a thorough combing of the site for evidence, although Sewell said no murder weapon was recovered.
A fund has been set up at Columbia River Bank to assist the Garcia family. Garcia had worked as the main supervisor for Power Design in Odell.
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge