Tuesday, February 25, 2003
Last Friday’s home game against Mountain View was the last chance for the HRV boys to make an impression on the Hood River faithful.
After losing five straight games in the HRVHS gymnasium, the Eagles wanted nothing more than to turn things around on Senior Night, and give their fans one last hurrah on the home hardwood.
But poor free-throw shooting and a bevy of missed opportunities sealed the Eagles’ fate as they dropped their sixth straight home game and third overall, 60-47.
“It was definitely a tough way to finish up at home,” coach Phil Vesel said. “I feel for my seniors because we played pretty well. We just missed too many open lay-ins and free throws.”
The Eagles (2-11 IMC) had their chances, but just couldn’t get over the hump, missing three break-away lay-ups and hitting just 15 of 34 free-throws.
“I was pleased with the effort,” Vesel said. “We did a lot of things right. But in the end, we still have to make the lay-ins and the free throws.”
Senior point guard Andy Holmson led the Eagles with 15 points. Rounding out the seniors’ final game, Tyler Monzie had eight, Ryan Pratt seven, Mitchell Bohn five, Todd Shypertt three and Sam Murillo one. Jarrod Fogle played but did not score.
HRV will finish the season Friday at second-place Hermiston.
Senior guard Sam Murillo was named the Hustle Player of the week with 19 hustle points. It was his first award this season.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge