Friday, February 28, 2003
Hood River News sports editor Dave Leder was named the Oregon State Wrestling Media Person of the Year on Feb. 22 at Portland Memorial Coliseum during the OSAA/U.S. Bank/Les Schwab Tires state wrestling championships.
Leder’s coverage of the Hood River Valley Eagles wrestling team over the past two seasons helped him earn recognition from the Oregon High School Wrestling Coaches Association as well as the Oregon School Activities Association. Leder joined the Hood River News in July 2001.
He was awarded a plaque from OHSWCA co-presidents Keith Bassham and Les Combs, and will be asked to present the 2004 award at next year’s state championships.
“It’s quite an honor to have your name called in front of so many people,” Leder said. “But I am very appreciative of Keith Bassham and (HRV coach) Mark Brown for nominating me.”
Miles Vance of the Beaverton Valley Times was also honored by the OHSWCA, but was not in attendance.
More like this story
- OSAA 5A SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS Late-game heroics by Lauren Decker, Hannah McNerney send HRV to the 5A quarterfinals
- Death Notices for May 27: Sharon Mills, Donna Schnell and Scott Zorza
- Service Announcements for May 27: Randy Van Woert and Thomas Ford
- Next Walking Tour June 5
- Lyle Pioneer Days return May 27
- CASA launches 2017 Playhouse Raffle
- YESTERYEARS: Ross, Daphne Hukari Animal Shelter opens in 2007
- ‘Guy, Guitar, Girl’: young actor seeks film support
- A ‘transforming gift’
- Author signing June 3 at HR Farmers’ Market
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge