Friday, February 28, 2003
Hood River News sports editor Dave Leder was named the Oregon State Wrestling Media Person of the Year on Feb. 22 at Portland Memorial Coliseum during the OSAA/U.S. Bank/Les Schwab Tires state wrestling championships.
Leder’s coverage of the Hood River Valley Eagles wrestling team over the past two seasons helped him earn recognition from the Oregon High School Wrestling Coaches Association as well as the Oregon School Activities Association. Leder joined the Hood River News in July 2001.
He was awarded a plaque from OHSWCA co-presidents Keith Bassham and Les Combs, and will be asked to present the 2004 award at next year’s state championships.
“It’s quite an honor to have your name called in front of so many people,” Leder said. “But I am very appreciative of Keith Bassham and (HRV coach) Mark Brown for nominating me.”
Miles Vance of the Beaverton Valley Times was also honored by the OHSWCA, but was not in attendance.
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge