Friday, January 17, 2003
HOOD RIVER — The odds weren’t in their favor, but the HRV girls basketball team showed little fear against league-leading Hermiston on Tuesday.
At least in the first half.
After holding the Lady Bulldogs to just 26 points in the first half, the Eagles crumbled in the second and lost the game, 61-21.
An 8-0 run to start the third quarter sealed HRV’s fate, but the real reason behind Tuesday’s defeat was a feisty junior point guard named Anna Frutchey.
She pestered the Eagle backcourt into numerous turnovers while recording eight steals (unofficially) to go with a game-high 15 points — exactly two times her season average.
The Lady Bulldogs barely needed the Intermountain Conference’s top scorer, Aundrea Morrison (14.5 ppg), as they roared through the second half on a 35-12 run. Morrison scored eight points, but her most notable asset on Tuesday was her defense.
HRV ballhandlers Suni Davis, Stefanie Draper and Kristen Hedges were denied nearly every opportunity to move the ball inside, while shooters Becki Flory and Anna Hidle only saw a few clean looks all evening.
HRV’s two leading scorers could only muster six points apiece to pace the Eagles, who appeared to have a new spring in their step after winning two of their last three games.
Hesitation on shots was less, ball movement was more crisp and the defense was more fluid. But it wasn’t enough to combat the Lady Bulldogs, who moved to 12-1 on the season (3-0 in the IMC).
HRV fell to 2-9 (1-2, IMC), and will try to rebound this weekend with road games at Crook County and Summit.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge