Tuesday, January 21, 2003
Turning a tiger upside down, a four-man crew put a Hood River menagerie on the road last week.
Carved animals, including a tiger, are on their way from Hood River to Seattle for display at Pacific Science Center starting next month. Owners Carol and Duane Perron oversaw the loading and packing of 60 carousel pieces into three large trucks in front of the Oak Street museum Thursday.
“This is a great gift, that they (Science Center) would call us and ask us to bring these pieces for the exhibit,” Duane Perron said.
The exhibit will include a three-abreast Spillman carousel, which will be open for $1 rides in Seattle. The Perrons will direct the assembly of the carousel units, some of which are close to 100 years old. The Perrons adapted the carousel mechanics so that the public can observe how energy is converted via gears at 90 percent angles. The display will be in one of the Science Center’s five buildings, where pedestals and settings have been created for the three-month show. It opens Feb. 3 and runs through early May.
The exhibit will be the first of its kind for the International Museum of Carousel Art since moving to Hood River five years ago, and the early fulfillment of a long-term goal for the Perrons, who own hundreds of pieces of carousel art work and display more than 100 at the non-profit museum.
“We’ve long wanted to do some kind of traveling carousel display, but it was way in the future and nothing this big,” Perron said.
If the spring show goes well, the Science Center might create an international traveling exhibit in 2005 using International Carousel Museum objects.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge