Wednesday, January 29, 2003
HRV girls JV’s beat Mountain View
The HRV girls JV basketball team beat Mountain View, 48-46, last Friday to raise their conference record to 3-4. Coach Phil Hukari complimented his team for playing tough defense down the stretch and not giving in to the Cougars’ pressure. The JV girls played Tuesday at Hermiston, but results were not available at press time.
The HRV boys JV basketball team fell to 0-5 in the Intermountain Conference with a 60-31 road loss to Mountain View on Saturday. The JV boys have won just two games this season and “have yet to play 32 minutes,” according to coach Dan Telles. “It’s been a roller-coaster ride for us so far,” he said. “We just need to see a more blue-collar effort.”
Horizon falls to 1-13 with loss to Echo
The Horizon Christian basketball team dropped its sixth straight game last Friday with a 58-38 loss to Echo. The Hawks were down just nine points at halftime (31-22), but were outscored 15-4 in the third quarter. Freshman Jon Strickland led the Hawks with 10 points, while senior Sheldon Diers added nine, and freshman Jeff Larson had eight. Echo has only lost once in Big Sky play and is in first place in the East division. Horizon’s next game is Friday at Condon.
Knights of Columbus shoot Saturday
The Knights of Columbus will sponsor a youth Hoop Shoot on Saturday, Feb. 1, from 2-4 p.m. at Wy’east Middle School. All kids, ages 10-14 as of Jan. 1, are eligible, and proof of age is required. For more information, call Frank Wall at 354-2489.
Community Ed seeking hockey fans
Hood River Community Education is hosting a group trip to Portland on Saturday to see the Portland Winterhawks play the Seattle Thunderbirds at the Rose Garden. Trip includes bus transportation and a reserved seat right behind the glass. An orientation of the game of hockey will take place on the bus ride. Bus will depart Hood River at 4:30 p.m. and return at approximately 11:30 p.m. Families are encouraged to attend. Cost for the trip is $27 per person. If you need more information or would like to sign up, call 386-2055.
Co-ed volleyball league seeks players
Anyone interested in playing co-ed volleyball is asked to turn out to Wy’east Middle School in Odell every Wednesday beginning at 7 p.m. Single players and teams are welcome. Drop-ins are also OK. All abilities are invited. For more information, call Hood River Community Education at 386-2055.
HR pool closed early on Tuesday
The Hood River Aquatic Center will close at 3 p.m. on Tuesday for a high-school swim meet. The Hood River Valley High School team will host five other teams in preparation for the Feb. 14 district meet in Bend. For more, call 386-1303.
Little League sign-ups next week
All three local little league chapters will hold sign-ups next week. Hood River Little League is asking players to come to Westside Elementary on Feb. 6, Feb. 7 or Feb. 12 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Registration includes boys and girls T-ball, coach pitch, minors and majors. Parents who wish to help coach or umpire will also register at this time (need a picture ID). Kids should have a copy of their birth certificate. Call 386-2450 with questions.
* Parkdale Little League will hold sign-ups on Feb. 4-5 from 6-8 p.m. in the Parkdale Community Center. Cost is $30 per player and a copy of birth certificate is required. Call Rich Garvin at 352-7227 with questions.
* Odell Little League will hold a board meeting tonight at 6 pm. at Wy’east Laboratories, located in the Weber business park in Odell. Call 386-3514 for more information.
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge