Tuesday, July 1, 2003
Jon Krakauer, author of best sellers “Into the Wild” and “Into Thin Air” will be in Hood River July 30 to present a slide show, “Playing for More Than You Can Afford to Lose: Ruminations on Mountains and Risk.”
The show includes slides from the disastrous Everest 1996 expedition, which inspired Krakauer to write “Into Thin Air.” He will also show slides from “Into the Wild” and from other climbs.
Hood River is the only stop on Krakauer’s national book tour where this slide show will be shown. He will also read from his new book, “Under the Banner of Heaven,” which describes a journey into the heart of Mormonism – extreme fundamentalist Mormonism in particular – America’s largest and fastest-growing home-grown religion.
Krakauer has been investigating the story set forth in his new book for the better part of the past six years.
The presentation for the slide show will start 7 p.m. and will be held at Hood River Valley High School’s Bowe Theater. Tickets are on sale at Waucoma Bookstore in Hood River for $8 in advance and $10 at the door. There is a limited number of tickets available and people are encouraged to purchase in advance.
The presentation is a fundraiser event for the Hood River County Library Foundation in cooperation with Waucoma Bookstore. For ticket information call Waucoma Book Store at 386-5353.
More like this story
- Parkdale Pumpkin parade, fun run Oct. 29
- HR artist crafts White Salmon sign
- Three appeals filed on UP’s Mosier track project
- Search suspended for west Gorge hiker
- Yesteryears: Trailer-house colony plan to ease housing shortage abandoned in 1946
- Police Log, Oct. 1 to 8
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 26
- ‘Remember Minoru’: Hood River community honors a civil rights hero
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 26
- The Ale List: pFriem ranks tops in Oregonian brewery list
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge