Tuesday, July 15, 2003
On Friday, July 25 at 7:30 p.m., there will be a public concert at Paul Blackburn and Kristen Dillon’s house, 401 Montello, Hood River. A donation to the Mid-Columbia Folklore Society of $10 is suggested. Tea and cookies will be served.
Jamie Stillway and Ben Bonham perform duets on a variety of steel string and acoustic lap steel guitars. Their unique guitar styles complement each other perfectly to produce a fresh, inspiring sound that is sophisticated and fun.
Jamie Stillway is one of the best young female acoustic guitarists currently performing in the U.S.A. Originally from Minnesota, Stillway recently settled in Portland. With a foundation in classical guitar, Stillway soon shifted her focus to the complex ragtime guitar styles of the 1920s, and has had the benefit of studying with many of today's top acoustic players. These influences, along with a newly developed passion for gypsy jazz guitar have contributed to Stillway’s distinct sound.
Ben Bonham has over ten years of professional experience as a live performer and recording musician in both the U.K. and the U.S.A. Since 1996, this British expatriate has delighted U.S. audiences with his renderings of old time American music and his mastery of delta blues, vintage Hawaiian lap steel and country blues and ragtime guitar. Bonham has several CDs to his credit, which have earned him the admiration of acoustic and steel guitar aficionados, and can often be seen playing his varied collection of vintage musical instruments at major festivals as the ultimate One-Man Band.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge