Tuesday, July 22, 2003
Friday afternoon traffic was backed up along the eastbound lanes of Interstate 84 due to two separate vehicle problems. Hood River City Police responded to the first call for help about 3 p.m. near mile post 68. They arrived to find a Suburban with a travel trailer that was stranded in the middle of the freeway. The vehicle, driven by Harold C. Schweitzer, 77, of Portland, had lost a rear tire. According to reports, Schweitzer lost control of the SUV after it swerved and struck the median barrier before coming to a stop. A tow truck arrived to clear the scene after both lanes were closed for about 20 minutes.
About an hour later, three vehicles were involved in a rear-end accident near milepost 63. City Police were once again the first responders and found two of the automobiles with more than $1,000 in damages.
According to reports, the incident occurred when a Honda sedan driven by Leng T. Tang, 38, of Boring was headed toward The Dalles and hit the tail section of a Honda sedan driven by Carlos C. Haycock, 25, of Portland. That impact sent Haycock’s vehicle into the back of a Dodge mini-van driven by Marco Medrano-Perez, 29, of Hood River. Both Tang and Perez were estimated to have higher repair costs than Haycock, although no one sustained serious injuries.
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge