Friday, July 25, 2003
HOOD RIVER — The Columbia Gorge Americans 13-year-old All Stars completed a memorable season last weekend by tying for fourth place in the Babe Ruth state tournament.
The Americans, managed by Bob Dohrman of Goldendale, won two of their four games, and nearly earned a place in the semifinals before losing to Hermiston, 7-6. Their only other loss was an extra-inning defeat at the hands of eventual champion, Union County.
“These kids overachieved, and really made the most of their state experience,” said coach Terry Bryant, whose son Jordan joined three more Hood River players on the roster.
“As the invite team, we weren’t even supposed to win a game. But these kids played their buns off and deserve some recognition.”
Dylan Tiss, Thomas Nickel and Ruben Annaya were the other three local representatives, and each of them helped the Americans earn wins over Astoria (14-13) and West Linn (10-1).
Games were held at Traner Field.
More like this story
- Union Update
- ‘Superheroes’ come running: CASA holds fourth annual Fun Run Oct. 9
- Roald Dahl Trivia Challenge is Oct. 21
- EnviroGorge Kids announces summer writing winners
- Tribal members protest Nestlé deal in Salem
- Downtown walking tours return Sept. 26
- Fresh Start program holds graduates’ dinner Oct. 19
- ‘Genealogy Jamboree’ at Discovery Center Oct. 8
- Church News: Concert at Tucker Rd. Baptist Sunday
- Odell Creek restoration presentation
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge