Friday, July 25, 2003
HOOD RIVER — The Columbia Gorge Americans 13-year-old All Stars completed a memorable season last weekend by tying for fourth place in the Babe Ruth state tournament.
The Americans, managed by Bob Dohrman of Goldendale, won two of their four games, and nearly earned a place in the semifinals before losing to Hermiston, 7-6. Their only other loss was an extra-inning defeat at the hands of eventual champion, Union County.
“These kids overachieved, and really made the most of their state experience,” said coach Terry Bryant, whose son Jordan joined three more Hood River players on the roster.
“As the invite team, we weren’t even supposed to win a game. But these kids played their buns off and deserve some recognition.”
Dylan Tiss, Thomas Nickel and Ruben Annaya were the other three local representatives, and each of them helped the Americans earn wins over Astoria (14-13) and West Linn (10-1).
Games were held at Traner Field.
More like this story
- Death notices for Nov. 28
- Service announcement for Nov. 25
- Yesteryears: Postal Route 6 added to HR Postal Service 1975
- Art Sale and Show at CCA
- Wy’east lists first-quarter honor roll
- How to Help, updated for Nov. 25
- Friends of Mt. Adams host ‘Cougar Creek burn’ forum
- Freeze Frames
- Daily Bread: The parting gift
- Travelogue: Family’s two-year sojourn in Bangkok connects them to the people
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge