Friday, July 25, 2003
HOOD RIVER — The Columbia Gorge Americans 13-year-old All Stars completed a memorable season last weekend by tying for fourth place in the Babe Ruth state tournament.
The Americans, managed by Bob Dohrman of Goldendale, won two of their four games, and nearly earned a place in the semifinals before losing to Hermiston, 7-6. Their only other loss was an extra-inning defeat at the hands of eventual champion, Union County.
“These kids overachieved, and really made the most of their state experience,” said coach Terry Bryant, whose son Jordan joined three more Hood River players on the roster.
“As the invite team, we weren’t even supposed to win a game. But these kids played their buns off and deserve some recognition.”
Dylan Tiss, Thomas Nickel and Ruben Annaya were the other three local representatives, and each of them helped the Americans earn wins over Astoria (14-13) and West Linn (10-1).
Games were held at Traner Field.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge