Friday, July 25, 2003
HOOD RIVER — The Columbia Gorge Americans 13-year-old All Stars completed a memorable season last weekend by tying for fourth place in the Babe Ruth state tournament.
The Americans, managed by Bob Dohrman of Goldendale, won two of their four games, and nearly earned a place in the semifinals before losing to Hermiston, 7-6. Their only other loss was an extra-inning defeat at the hands of eventual champion, Union County.
“These kids overachieved, and really made the most of their state experience,” said coach Terry Bryant, whose son Jordan joined three more Hood River players on the roster.
“As the invite team, we weren’t even supposed to win a game. But these kids played their buns off and deserve some recognition.”
Dylan Tiss, Thomas Nickel and Ruben Annaya were the other three local representatives, and each of them helped the Americans earn wins over Astoria (14-13) and West Linn (10-1).
Games were held at Traner Field.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge