Tuesday, July 29, 2003
The Hood River County Fair opens at noon today and will run through Saturday in Odell.
Today is Family Day, which means that a car full of family and friends gain entrance to the fair for a mere $10. Regular general admission prices are $5 per person, $1 for children ages 6-12, and under 6 free.
The carnival rides open at 1 p.m. each day and continue until 11:30 p.m. tonight and Thursday, and 12:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights. Bracelets can be purchased for $15 ($12 if purchased before 5 p.m. opening day) which allow unlimited rides for one day.
The traditional Soroptimist Old-Fashioned BBQ will start at 5 p.m. tonight in the picnic area just inside the main gate. Bob’s Texas T-Bone of Rufus, Ore., will prepare the meat while it lasts or until 7:30 p.m.
Also happening tonight is the talent contest, from 6-7 p.m. in the park area. Performers from the county will compete for cash prizes and a chance to go on to the state fair.
Thursday is Senior Citizen’s Day. Hood River County residents age 62 and older will be admitted for $2 per person, which includes a free lunch served at noon in the park.
Exhibit rooms and livestock barns are full of the best the valley has to offer. For more information call the fair office at 354-2865.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge