Tuesday, June 3, 2003
Class of 2003 singers will perform the song “Capture Our Dreams,” during Friday’s commencement ceremony at Hood River Valley High School.
The song was written by senior Jasmine Cohen for the occasion, in which approximately 260 students are ushered into life’s next phase.
The ceremony will be at 7:30 p.m. at Henderson Stadium; the new Eagle 2003 plaza will be ready for the occasion, though the new restroom facilities built as part of the volunteer project are subject to inspection.
Meanwhile, Cascade Locks High School will graduate a class of 18 seniors in the 2003 commencement at 1 p.m. Saturday in the gymnasium.
Cascade Locks valedictorians are Julia Back, Jamie Fischer, and Britny Foster; Jillian Kononen is salutatorian. Speakers will be principal Chris Daniels and Carla Zumwalt, language arts teacher.
At HRVHS, seven students are in the running for valedictorian; senior class advisor Cary Mallon said the grade point averages are so close that the results won’t be known until today, the final day of the semester (and too late for presstime).
Welcoming speakers at HRVHS will be Edith Chavez in Spanish and Ryan Kawachi in English. Class speakers will be Christy Paul and Jenny Villagomez in Spanish.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge