Friday, June 6, 2003
Another large fleet of racers showed up for the second weekend of Gorge Cup racing. Strong wind conditions forced racers to use smaller sails than the previous race, with many using 9- to 10- meter sails.
However, the stronger wind conditions didn’t cause any changes in the leader board. Sailworks designer and founder Bruce Peterson retained his first-place overall position, as well as first place in the Men’s Masters division, with top finishes in all of the four race heats.
Behind him, Dale Cook continues to hold the second place mark after exchanging first and second place finishes with Peterson.
Andreas Macke, a German racer on the Sailworks team, jumped to the top of the leader board after only competing in this weekend’s race. Macke, a resident of Bellevue, Wash., plans to return to defend his third overall, and second in the men’s division.
Other notable finishes included Shelley Gimbal, who sits in eighth place in the Master’s division; and Sam Bauer, a local racer who also posted first-place finishes in two heats in the Fun Sport division.
The next Gorge Cup race will be today at the Hood River Event Site. Race results and information can be found at: www.gorgecup.com.
Big Winds will be conducting a Sailworks and Mistral Windsurfing demo on Saturday, June 14, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Hood River Event Site.
Equipment for all wind conditions will be available and Big Winds staff, as well as representatives from Sailworks and Mistral will be available to answer any questions from the public. Equipment is first-come, first-served.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge