Monday, June 16, 2003
For kids in Hood River County, summer vacation is finally here and along with it comes a line-up of fun and educational summer camps.
Hood River County School District’s Community Education has once again created an enticing schedule of camps for kids of all ages. Many are filling up fast; call Community Education at 386-2055 to register.
Bravissimo! Columbia Gorge Music and Arts Camp, June 16-20 for kids in grades 6-9. Campers will spend mornings in small group “master classes” with experienced music teachers, and afternoons in a variety of “enrichment” classes — including Afro-Cuban dance and drumming, guitar and turntable scratching. Cost: $85.
* OMSI Dino-Mite, June 16-20 (mornings) for pre-school age kids. Campers will learn about dinosaurs. Taught by OMSI staff. Cost: $80.
* OMSI Let’s Invent, June 16-20 (afternoons) for kids age 6-8. Children will investigate simple inventions and discover how they work, then will design and build their own inventions. Taught by OMSI staff. Cost: $80.
* Camp Clay Animation, June 16-20 for kids in grades 4-8. Campers will learn techniques of stop-action animation while creating their own group video production. Cost: $50.
* Mural Painting Workshop, June 23-27 for kids age 8-12. Working with mural artist Janet Essley, kids will create a permanent mural in the community. Cost: $55.
* Acoustic Guitar Camp, June 23-27 for kids age 12-15. Students will learn how to read music, play basic chords and simple songs. Cost: $30.
* GOAL Soccer Camp, July 8-11 for boys and girls age 6-17. Open to beginning and advanced players. This intensive training camp will cover all aspects of the game. Participants will be divided according to age and ability. Cost: $60.
* Electric Guitar Camp, July 14-18 for kids age 11-17. Campers will learn to play blues, rock-and-roll, jazz and pop. Designed for beginners or players with some basic experience. Participants must have their own guitar. Cost: $30.
* Summer Art Camp for kids age 5-8. Campers will spend a week creating colorful unique art work, including paintings, prints and tie-dyes. Sessions are: June 16-20, June 23-27, July 7-11, July 14-18, July 21-25, July 28-Aug. 1, and Aug. 4-8. Cost: $40.
* Kids Art Camp for kids in grades 4-7. Campers will use different media and complete projects in drawing, painting, clay, lettering and design, and printmaking. Sessions are: June 16-20, July 21-25 and Aug. 11-15. Cost: $45.
* Violin Camp for Youth, Aug. 4-8 for kids age 9 and up. Open to beginners and intermediate level players. Cost: $40.
* Musical Theater Workshop, June 30-July 11 for kids in grades 2-12. After nine days of rehearsals, students will perform a major production. Cost: $225.
* Summer Day Camp for kids age 6-12. A trained camp staff of counselors directs campers in two weeks of non-stop activities ranging from swimming to hiking to special trips. Sessions are June 30-July 11 and July 14-25, with a possible third session depending on sign-ups. Cost: $130.
Hood River Eagles Basketball Camp, July 7-11 (girls and boys grade 4-8), July 14-18 (boys grade 9-12). Local high school coaches will work with boys and girls on fundamentals and game situations. Players will be divided into specific age groups. Cost: $85.
History Camp, July 14-18 for kids in grades 5-7. Campers will explore the history of Hood River County and the Mid-Columbia. Daily snacks and camp T-shirt included. Cost: $85.
Arts and Crafts Camp for kids age 6-12. Campers will learn to make fun items using yarn, seed beads, paper and other things. Sessions are: July 14-17, July 21-24, July 28-31 and Aug. 11-14. Cost: $25.
Around the World Camp III, June 16-20 for kids in grades K-3. Learn language and culture and taste the food of five different countries — including Ireland, Germany and Vietnam. Cost: $40.
Around the World Camp IV, Aug. 11-15 for kids in grades K-3. Learn language and culture and taste the food of five more countries — including Sweden, Greece and Russia. Cost: $40.
Kids Creations Art Camp is June 30-Aug. 22 for kids age 5-10. In its fifth year, Kids Creations teaches a variety of mediums including silk painting, papier-mache, painting, printmaking and more — with the emphasis on fun and sharing ideas. In addition to art projects, campers will also play games and go on short excursions. Cost: $35 per day. For information and to register, call 386-2373 or go to www.gorgecreations.com.
Hood River WaterPlay offers free windsurf and sailing lessons for kids of all ages June 18-19. The event is co-sponsored by Community Education. Parents must accompany anyone under 18. All equipment and instruction is free, including the use of life jackets. Call 386-2055 or 386-9463 for information and registration.
Big Winds Kids Camp is a specialized camp for kids age 7-13 designed to introduce and develop basic windsurfing skills in a 4-day program. Camps run Monday through Thursday all summer beginning June 16. Choose morning or afternoon sessions. Cost: $200, which includes lifevest, helmet and wetsuit as well as all sailing gear.
Columbia Gorge School of Theatre in White Salmon, Wash., offers several camps, ranging from one week to several, beginning June 23. Campers study acting, music, singing and dance and act in a show. For information and registration, call 800-405-3450 or go to www.theatrecamp.com.
More like this story
- Team Osprey competes in Bend Winter Invitational
- Sports briefs for Dec. 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 13
- Off the Rails: Protest oil train regulation rollback
- Hood River Bridge replacement: Understanding the WHATs
- Sheriff's Log, Nov. 26 to Dec. 10
- Happiness Month profile: Slowing down with ‘The Daily Three’
- Menorah Installed
- How to help during the holidays
- Students of the Month: Elks Lodge honors Zorza and Castañeda