Tuesday, June 17, 2003
Local Masters swimming enthusiast Sandi Rousseau was honored last month in Tempe, Ariz., with the annual Ransom Arthur Award — the most prestigious national award in United States Masters Swimming.
The award is given each year to the person who has done the most to further Masters swimming in their community, and Rousseau has been as active as anyone over the years.
She has been involved in Masters swimming on the local and national levels for nearly 20 years, and after founding the Tualatin Hills Barracudas in the 1980s, she helped put the Mid Columbia Masters Swim Team on the map.
All her hard work came to fruition this spring when Rousseau helped organize the Northwest Zone Meet at the Hood River Aquatic Center.
“Once a year, we pause to recognize the dedication of a single person within U.S. Masters Swimming, who has worked tirelessly to promote our sport and the organization that makes this all possible,” said Jim Miller, the award presenter.
Rousseau received the award May 17 while competing at the National Short-Course Swimming Championships. Fellow local Masters swimmer Bill Mellow joined her at the meet, and both performed exceptionally well.
Captain Ransom J. Arthur, M.D., founded United States Masters Swimming in the 1960s, and believed that adult fitness could extend a person’s life. The award has developed a strong connection to the Northwest Zone, with the 2002 recipients, Jane and Hugh Moore, from Pacific Northwest Aquatics (PNA).
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge