Tuesday, June 24, 2003
Smoke billowed over Cascade Locks on Saturday morning while the Cascade Locks Fire Department conducted a “burn and learn” exercise.
Three dilapidated houses at the corner of Regulator and Moody streets were set ablaze for the training drill. Fire Chief Mike Renault said the controlled burn gave 17 volunteer firefighters — especially five new recruits —a rare opportunity to gain hands-on experience.
“Cascade Locks only has a structure fire once every five years so when we can do this, we can sign off on a lot of certification skills,” Renault said.
Last fall, the city approached Douglas Jenson, the owner of the buildings, about using them for a live fire training. The aging dwellings had fallen into disrepair and had a long history of being inhabited by drug users and dealers.
Jenson, a Portland resident, not only agreed to the destruction of the structures, but paid for the disposal of interior debris and furniture prior to the burn. City Ordinance Enforcement Officer Kevin Dean coordinated the effort to clean out the houses, utilizing youth community service crews from both Multnomah and Hood River counties.
Because of their proximity to neighboring properties, two of the buildings were flattened and piled on the central blaze in the house at the junction of the two streets. In addition to observing the fire behavior, Cascade Locks personnel practiced breaching walls and ceilings, rescuing victims and applying varied techniques for containing and extinguishing flames.
Renault credits greater public awareness about fire danger for lowered call rates in recent years. He said city officials have taken an active role in educating citizens on simple steps they can take to prevent both house and wildfires.
“Public education makes a lot of difference,” Renault said.
After the morning exercise was completed, Cascade Locks Interested in Kids, the local drug prevention agency, celebrated the elimination of the problem homes by hosting a free community hot dog feed.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge