Tuesday, June 24, 2003
CASCADE LOCKS — The 28th Annual Sternwheeler Days Festival returns to Cascade Locks for three days of entertainment, food, music and activities, Friday through Sunday, beginning each day at 6 a.m. at Marine Park.
Originally known as Portage Days, the Festival’s name was changed to Sternwheeler Days to celebrate the Sternwheeler Columbia Gorge, an authentic triple-decker sternwheeler owned by the Port of Cascade Locks. This year marks the Sternwheeler Columbia Gorge’s 20th anniversary.
The Bridge of the Gods’ CB club will serve breakfast and hamburgers in the Park all day long, each day of the festival from 6 a.m. until closing. A Mountain Man encampment, as well as an “1856” Army Men’s Regiment encampment, will be posted on Thunder Island. Food and craft booths will open at 10 a.m. and 25-cent bingo will be played from noon to 8 p.m. The Sternwheeler Columbia Gorge will offer excursion tours at noon and 3 p.m. Rates are $15 for adults and $9 for children.
At 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, a Run/Walk across the Bridge of the Gods will raise money for the Cascade Locks High School Track Team, with a $1 suggested donation. One lane of traffic will be closed on the bridge to allow walkers and runners a safe and memorable crossing. Also on Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Festival will host a free antique appraisal in the Port Pavilion. Two items per person will be appraised at no charge. The Geezers will provide live music throughout the day Saturday and Sunday.
The Sternwheeler Days Festival Parade begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The tenth annual Salmon Bake will also take place on Saturday, from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., sponsored by the Columbia Gorge Lions.
On Sunday at 9:30 a.m., a special Church in the Park service will be held featuring gospel singer Charlie Walker.
More than 40 food and craft booths will be on hand at Marine Park, along with live music, bingo, and lots of children’s activities including pony rides, petting zoo, kiddy train rides, “The Bounce,” mini racers and games.
For a complete listing of Sternwheeler Days events call 800-643-1354.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge