Friday, June 27, 2003
Hood River Valley High School graduate Christy Paul recently became one of 25 athletes from across the country to win the “Got Milk? Milk Mustache” SAMMY award.
Paul, who was a cross-country and track standout at HRVHS for three years, was chosen from a list of 52,000 applicants by a panel of Milk Mustache athletes, including Jason Kidd, Marion Jones, Pete Sampras, Mia Hamm and Tony Hawk.
She was selected for her outstanding achievements in academics, athletics, community service and leadership.
Paul will join her fellow SAMMY award winners at a special award ceremony at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex, where she will be inducted into the SAMMY Hall of Fame.
As part of her award, Paul will receive a $7,500 college scholarship and a spot in her very own Milk Mustache ad, which appeared in the June 20 edition of USA Today.
The ad will also appear in issues of Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine.
Now in its sixth year, the SAMMY award is given to 25 college-bound high school seniors who excel in academics as well as sports and community involvement.
Paul, who was a 4.0 student throughout high school, will attend Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., in the fall, and will compete on the track and cross-country teams.
“It’s such an honor to be recognized among these amazing athletes from across the country,” she said.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Westside forum July 26
- Fair Time: HOOD RIVER COUNTY FAIR — ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- YESTERYEARS: ‘Lassie’ films in HR in 1947
- Daily Bread: Blame it on The Moon
- McAlexanders celebrate 50th anniversary
- Hood River Library hosts Death Café
- Police Log, July 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, July 16 to 22
- Biologists give mixed news for Columbia steelhead
- Pet of the Week: Charlie is happy and playful
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge