Friday, June 27, 2003
Hood River Valley High School graduate Christy Paul recently became one of 25 athletes from across the country to win the “Got Milk? Milk Mustache” SAMMY award.
Paul, who was a cross-country and track standout at HRVHS for three years, was chosen from a list of 52,000 applicants by a panel of Milk Mustache athletes, including Jason Kidd, Marion Jones, Pete Sampras, Mia Hamm and Tony Hawk.
She was selected for her outstanding achievements in academics, athletics, community service and leadership.
Paul will join her fellow SAMMY award winners at a special award ceremony at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex, where she will be inducted into the SAMMY Hall of Fame.
As part of her award, Paul will receive a $7,500 college scholarship and a spot in her very own Milk Mustache ad, which appeared in the June 20 edition of USA Today.
The ad will also appear in issues of Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine.
Now in its sixth year, the SAMMY award is given to 25 college-bound high school seniors who excel in academics as well as sports and community involvement.
Paul, who was a 4.0 student throughout high school, will attend Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., in the fall, and will compete on the track and cross-country teams.
“It’s such an honor to be recognized among these amazing athletes from across the country,” she said.
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge