Monday, March 10, 2003
Four Cooper Spur Race Team skiers have qualified to compete against the best racers in the western United States later this month.
Fletcher Hukari was named to the J3 team (13-14 year-olds), while Alex Greene, Wells Stevenson and Ashley Woodworth were each named to the J1/J2 team (15-16 years-old) for the USSA Junior Olympics.
Hood River Valley sophomore Luke McCarthy was chosen as an alternate in his first year of J2 competition.
Hukari, and HRV freshman also competing on the high-school team, will travel to Big Sky, Mont., to compete in slalom, giant slalom and Super G events.
The remaining three CSRT skiers will travel to Mammouth Mountain, Calif., and will compete in the same events plus a downhill race.
Former CSRT skier Lindsay McClure, now racing for the Mt. Hood Academy, qualified for the J1 Junior Olympics.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge