Wednesday, March 26, 2003
For a second consecutive year, the HRV boys golf team started its season on the upswing.
The Eagles, who won The Dalles Invitational in 2002, fell just a few strokes short of this year’s title last Thursday, and settled for third with a solid 327.
Senior Jake Morgan (tied for first, 74) and junior Jimmy Woodruff (third, 76) led the way for HRV, which also benefitted from a solid round of 84 from sophomore Herbie Annala.
“I was very pleased with our performance,” coach Bill DeBorde said. “My expectations were that we may shoot even a little higher than the mid-320’s, but Jake and Jimmy really held it together.”
DeBorde said that HRV may have won the whole thing if Annala had shot the way he did in 2002 (round of 79). But he is currently testing out a new driver, which tacked on a few extra strokes at The Dalles.
“I had a number in mind going into the tournament,” DeBorde said, “and I figured that if we were in the 320’s, that would be a good outing.”
Also contributing to the Eagles’ third-place finish was junior Chris Perry, who shot a 93. Junior Kyle Griffith rounded out the varsity scores with a 99.
In the team standings, Oregon City and La Grande tied for top honors with scores of 323. HRV was in third with 327, while Rex Putnam was a close fourth at 329. Molalla finished fifth at 336.
More like this story
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
- Sheriff's Log, Aug. 23 to 30
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge