Friday, March 28, 2003
A pair of baseball clinics for pitchers and catchers on local Little League and Babe Ruth teams will be held on Saturday, April 5, at two Hood River locations.
Two “For the Love of the Game” baseball clinics will cover the basic fundamentals for pitchers and catchers, including conditioning, pitching mechanics, situations, signals and more.
Little Leaguers will meet at the little league field on Nix Drive, with registration at 9:30 a.m. and play from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Babe Ruth players will meet at Collins Field beginning with registration at 1 p.m. and play from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Instruction will be provided by some of Hood River’s best former players. Long-time Major Leaguer Jeff Lahti, who pitched in two World Series for the St. Louis Cardinals, will be on hand along with Richie Carter and Jim Slusher.
Carter was the 1980 Oregon Player of the Year and played for several years in the New York Yankees and California Angels organizations.
Slusher played several years of college and semi-pro ball, and served as a pitching coach for both Lahti and Carter early in their careers.
Cost for the clinic is a $10 suggested donation, with all the proceeds going back to the local programs. Players need to bring a glove and dress warm.
If you have any questions, contact Rich Carter at 386-4047.
If you are interested in getting your kids involved with local Little League and/or Babe Ruth baseball teams, you can contact any of the people below:
Babe Ruth (13-16 year-olds): Chuck Johnisee 386-6870; or Daryn Fogle 386-1819
Little League (Grades 1-6)
Hood River — Message line: 386-2450; hoodriverlittleleague.com
Odell — Chris Walker 354-1678
Parkdale — Rich Garvin, 352-7227.
More like this story
- Update -- Police seeking man involved in kidnapping between Mosier, Portland
- Back to school for students in Hood River County
- Cascade Observations: Looking back, looking ahead
- HRV Health Center opens
- Wine takes center stage this week, weekend
- Yesteryears: Cornerstone laid at new St. Mark’s in 1925
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 2
- Columbia Gorge Discovery Center dedicates renewable energy exhibit
- Pet of the Week: Angelina loves car rides, long walks
- Public Records — Marriage Permits, July 31 to Aug. 31
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge