Wednesday, May 7, 2003
Within two weeks glass walls will enclose the Hood River County Library construction project.
Baugh Skanska general contractors hope to pass the building on to the county by May 31, meaning the library could open by late June, said library director June Knudsen.
Project supervisor Pat Brickman said crews will start the last phase of interior dry-wall today. In the next two weeks, glass workers will install “glass curtain walls” on the north and south ends of the “library lane” corridor that links the old building and the new wing to the east. The building will be sealed once the glass is in place.
All masonry and exterior concrete work are complete. Crews finished the front steps and courtyard on Monday.
The county will build the sidewalk in front, and will do even more work once Baugh Skanska bows out.
The county will install the flooring and some of the bookcases, as well as mask windows and other areas in preparation for painting. Charlie Hopkins and other local contractors will do the bulk of the interior painting as a volunteer project.
No date has been set for the move from the temporary building at Sixth and State, but Knudson said she will ask the community to help move boxes of books just as was done in the move out last summer.
“As this project has been all along, it’s a case of several things coming together,” she said.
More like this story
- Cascade Locks brush fire contained
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
Helicopter searches for hiker
BLACKHAWK helicopter flies over Mt. Hood National Forest near Laurance Lake on Friday, Aug. 21. The military aircraft was called in to help police seek a missing hiker from The Dalles. Enlarge