Monday, May 19, 2003
The home-course advantage turned into a home disadvantage for the Hood River Valley girls golf team this week at Indian Creek.
Already playing without one varsity golfer (junior Anna Thompson), the Eagles were disqualified from the Intermountain Conference district competition when senior No. 1 Carly Cannell called a “winter rule” on herself early in Monday’s round one.
That left the Eagles with only three round-one scores, which was not enough to post a team score.
“I take responsibility for that mix-up,” coach Lynn Mitchell said. “Carly played the hole the way we have at other home tournaments. But the other coaches wouldn’t budge because this is the only match that counts.”
Cannell finished day one with a score of 111, and day two with a 105 (216 total), leading the limited list of HRV golfers, which also included sophomores Elizabeth Cobarrubias (103-122-225) and Abby Capovilla (103-125-228).
Cobarrubias and Capovilla were the only two golfers to post a final score, while three others — Kristina Cobarrubias, Sammy Schend and Joyce Yang — each played one round.
“We’ve had better seasons,” Mitchell said. “But the girls all continue to have fun, which should be the ultimate goal. Having fun and learning the game of golf are the main things.”
Bend won the team competition with a combined score of 681 (340-341). Summit (729) and Mountain View (747) rounded out the Central Oregon sweep.
Hermiston was fourth with a two-day score of 856, Pendleton fifth at 860, Redmond sixth at 876, and Crook County seventh at 896.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge