Friday, October 10, 2003
HOOD RIVER — Coach Sue Farro’s team didn’t think disaster would strike them again so soon.
Yet, just 11 days after giving up a crucial two points to Mountain View on a last-second goal, the HRV girls soccer team relinquished another one-goal lead in the final seconds of Tuesday’s match with Redmond, settling for a 2-2 tie at Westside Field.
“What a heartbreaker,” said senior Anna Hidle, who scored the go-ahead goal for the Eagles with seven minutes remaining.
“It was exactly the same shot from the exact same place as the Mountain View game. It’s really hard to describe that feeling, and we’ve all been trying to analyze why it happened again.”
Following a controversial foul call at the 39-minute mark of the second half, Redmond’s Aiyana Jackson calmly stepped up and sailed a 30-yard free kick over the head of HRV goalkeeper Rochelle Friend, sending the Panthers into euphoria and the Eagles into shock.
“It’s just sickening,” said Farro, whose Eagles sit in sixth place in the Intermountain Conference after Hermiston’s 3-1 win over Pendleton on Thursday.
“I thought we played a great game against a really good team, and we played well enough to win. The hardest thing for us, though, is knowing that we’re right there with these teams on the field, but not in the standings,” she said.
Now, HRV (3-3-3 IMC) must run the table in its final five games, starting today at Mountain View — the other team that stole two points from the Eagles on their home field back on Sept. 27.
“We’re starting to realize that if we want to go to the playoffs, we have to win now,” Hidle said. “We want to make a difference in our league, and to do that, we have to start winning on Saturday.”
HRV also must face third-place Summit, along with Hermiston and the league’s bottom two teams, Pendleton and Crook County.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge