Wednesday, September 3, 2003
The Herman Creek fire near Cascade Locks has grown to 200 acres, and Department of Forestry officials said they do not know when the blaze will be contained.
Interstate 84 remains closed. Along the freeway Wednesday, crews cut fire-damaged tree snags as a safety precaution.
The fire is burning in timber, brush and grass, and the smoke has covered the Portland metropolitan area. The cause is under investigation.
Three structures burned in Cascade Locks Tuesday, and fire officials do not know Wednesday morning if further evacuations of homes will be necessary. An aid center for local residents have been set up at Rock Creek Center in Stevenson; local residents are staying for free at local hotels.
A 10 mph easterly wind with gusts of 35-45 mph quickly pushed the fire to the outskirts of town Tuesday afternoon.
The fire is burning chiefly on USDA Forest Service lands and Oregon Department of Transportation lands.
The Forest Service air tankers and helicopters dropped retardants on the fire, along with other resources. Oregon Department of Forestry had two severity-funded helicopters at the fire, a bulldozer, and several fire engines. Fire agencies from throughout northwest Oregon sent in firefighters on Tuesday.
More like this story
- Boys soccer goes on the road and ties Hermiston
- Sports briefs for Oct. 21
- Kegler's Corner: Buck and Miller Shine
- Taste of Tsuruta benefit dinner Nov. 4 at Mt. Hood Winery
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner Oct. 21
- Mosier Senior Center hosts Harvest Fair
- Blacksmith Bob Denman at District Garden Club meeting Oct. 28
- ‘Gen Silent’ film, workshop on Oct. 25
- ‘Gender, Dignity and Freedom’ Oct. 24: Gender identity panel
- Sheriff Log, Oct. 8 to 14
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge