Friday, September 12, 2003
A few changes are in the air this fall at the Hood River Aquatic Center.
First and foremost, the pool will now be offering a new fall schedule, with Open Swim hours from 6-8 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
The new fall schedule also features Open Swim on Saturdays from 1-5 p.m., but will be closed on Sundays starting in October.
“The people have spoken, and we listened,” said activities director Scott Baker. “We will be open later in the fall, winter and spring, but that also means we have to close on Sundays.
“But, based on what people have said, we don’t anticipate many problems,” he said.
Another big change this fall is the introduction of a new 7-foot-tall water slide. It is open to people of all ages, and sends swimmers through 450 degrees of turns before plunging into the water.
The slide, which was funded in part by the Lions Foundation, is available for use during all Open Swim hours.
Hood River County Parks and Recreation director Lori Stirn thanked the Lions as well as the City Public Works for helping install the slide in 30 inches of concrete.
“The city put off other projects so they could get to the slide even sooner,” Stirn said. “And we definitely appreciate it.”
Also coming up this fall is the third-annual Doggy Paddle on Sept. 29, and the weekly Family Night on Fridays, which costs $1 per swimmer.
After the Doggy Paddle, the pool will be closed for maintenance until Oct. 9, with a reopen date scheduled for Oct. 10.
“We’re excited for all the changes,” Baker said. “We just hope everyone will adjust well to our new schedule.”
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge