Wednesday, September 24, 2003
It all started in 1995 as an idea the Rev. Tony Hughes had to form a group whose main goals were simple; bring the showmanship back into today's live music scene, play whatever they wanted and to always remember, it's all about fun.
This Saturday, the Jesus Presley mayhem plays at the River City Saloon. Show starts at 10 p.m. and there will be a cover charge.
The band has always believed in looking sharp, so dressed in suits and ties the group was immediately thrown into the lounge category. That was the first mistake the press made about the band. Jesus Presley has never done just one style of music, their sound comes from the diverse background of all the musicians that have been in the group over the years. As founder, The Rev. Tony has led the band in its strange and unusual style. Influenced by his favorite bands and musicians spanning the scope from Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Stan Kenton, Morphine, Thomas Newman, Ted Heath, Iggy Pop, Wall of Voodoo, Madonna, Mike Ness, Johnny Cash, The B-52's, Spike Jones, Raymond Scott, Don Was, Frank Sinatra, Joe Jackson, Mel Torme and Elvis Presley.
The band has been based out of Portland since 1995. This year the group is planning to relocate to Atlanta, Ga., bringing its style and mayhem to the south. Over the past years Jesus Presley has amassed a following of loyal fans from all over the world. The band has released six full length CD's and is in the process of releasing a best of CD which will include three new tracks called "Gone with the Wind" due out the middle of 2003. Jesus Presley still continues to do what they set out to do, have fun and entertain people
For more information, visit the River City Saloon Web site at www.rivercitysaloon.com.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge