Thursday, December 9, 2004
Hood River County wants to add a $5 fee to all traffic tickets brought before the Justice Court in Cascade Locks.
The new surcharge would be used to set up a mediation process to resolve residential disputes, and to find larger quarters for the court. Currently, Justice Robbie Lee presides over court proceedings in a single-wide manufactured home off WaNaPa Street in the heart of the city. Each year the rural court generates about $270,000 in revenue from tickets issued county-wide for driving infractions and violations of state weight rules by commercial truckers.
Dave Meriwether, county administrator, said if $2 from the fee increase is added into the county coffers, the court could be afforded a new home in the near future. He said the county is currently negotiating with the Oregon Department of Transportation to construct a multi-agency human resource facility on state land at the intersection of WaNaPa and Forest Lane. In addition to the court, that facility would house a second branch of the county health department and the Center for Living, which provides an array of counseling services.
He said the remaining $3 from the proposed fee would allow the county to contract with a mediation service to resolve disputes. He said timely intervention by a professional mediator could stop civil conflicts between neighbors from escalating into criminal behavior.
A public hearing is scheduled on the fee proposal at 6 p.m. on Monday in the first floor conference room of the county administration building, 601 State St.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge