Thursday, August 4, 2005
By DAVE LEDER
News staff writer
Only two weeks remain before the Big Sky Conference district golf tournament, and the more time the Horizon Christian Hawks spend on the course, the more excited they are about the high-stakes competition awaiting them at Wildhorse Resort on May 9-10.
Thursday was no different, as the Hawks took on the Hood River Valley High School JV team in a mixed-format match at Hood River Golf Course (best ball on the front nine; scramble on the back nine).
Sophomore No. 3 Colin Swick teamed up with junior No. 4 Jason Borton to tie for the best score of the day (89), while sophomore No. 1 Stephen Stenberg teamed up with freshman No. 6 Hannah Wessner to shoot a round of 90.
Sophomores Josh Boyden (No. 5) and David Rovianek (No. 2) paired up to shoot a combined score of 99, which helped give Horizon a victory of 278 to 293.
“If we can get two guys in the 80’s and two in the 90’s at district, we have a chance to finish second,” said Stenberg, who shot a season-best round of 89 on April 15 in Umatilla.
“We will all need to bring our ‘A’ games, though, because the competition in our league is pretty good.”
Stenberg believes Rovianek can match him hole-for-hole, and says that Borton and Swick should both be able to crack 100 at the district tourney.
Regardless of where Horizon’s district scores end up, everyone on the team is having a blast playing for this first-year program, coached by Kevin Eakins, Pat Graham and Eric Sletmoe.
“Josh (Boyden) and I are having a pretty good battle for the fourth spot,” said Borton, the eldest member of the team. “He keeps saying he’s going to catch me, but it hasn’t happened yet.”
Horizon took to the course again on Friday at China Creek Golf Course (results NA).
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge