Thursday, August 4, 2005
By DAVE LEDER
News staff writer
HOOD RIVER — The Hood River Valley girls golf team continued its steady upswing on Tuesday at Indian Creek when it hosted the only home event of the 2005 season.
Led by senior Elizabeth Cobarrubias’ round of 105, the Eagles improved 16 strokes over their last competition to post a team score of 445. Cobarrubias shot a 49 on the front nine and a 56 on the back nine to finish in fourth place overall.
Senior Abby Capovilla shot a consistent round of 108, while junior Kristi Heinze fired a season-best 111. Junior Whitney Osborn and sophomore Sandra Jefferies rounded out the HRV scores, each with a round of 121.
“People forget how tough Indian Creek can be,” said coach Kevin Springer, who was missing one golfer, sophomore Jelisa Maret, due to a broken finger. “Even though we practice here, it’s still a challenge for the girls. There are quite a few things that can trip you up out here.”
The best score in the field was turned in by McKennon Cimmiyotti of Hermiston, who shot a 95. That was just enough to help her team defeat Pendleton, 421-420.
“The competition wasn’t too far ahead of us,” Springer said. “Each of the threesomes was pretty even throughout the day, which is what we were hoping for.”
Next up for HRV is a trip to Prineville on Tuesday for the Crook County Invitational. Springer said he hopes to see a couple Central Oregon schools to help gauge where his team is at.
“Our main goal is to keep improving every match,” Springer said. “And the girls are working hard to make that happen.”
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge