Thursday, August 4, 2005
By KIRBY NEUMANN-REA
News staff writer
May 4, 2005
Parkdale Little League dedicated its Baseline Drive field to the Halliday Family on April 28, for the late Wilbur Halliday and family. June Halliday, Wilbur’s widow, and her sons, Scott and Mike accepted the honor as up-and-coming Little Leaguers watched during a brief ceremony.
“He’s up there with Wrigley,” Scott quipped, referring to Phil Wrigley of Chicago Cubs’ fame. Wilbur, a longtime orchardist, died three years ago.
Parkdale Little League board members Jeff McNerney and Bruce Kiyokawa presented the Hallidays with new sign to be mounted at the field, founded in 1971 by the Hallidays.
June Halliday said she felt a little embarassed at the recognition, and she and her sons gave credit to others.
“It’s always a pleasure to see people of the community and the families using the field,” June said. “That’s what a ballfield and a community are all about. We’ve got a great community here,” she said. “A lot of people have worked very hard on this.”
Mike Halliday noted that new families are emerging all the time to do the work of taking care of the field.
“There is always someone willing to step up to bat,” he said.
The Hallidays pointed to recent improvements such as a sound system, turf, and backstop, but McNerney said it was the Halliday brothers who installed the underground sprinkler system among many tasks over the 30 years. He added that June has been steadfast in speaking for Little League interests, as a board member of the neighboring Community Center. “This park is the pride of Hood River County Little League fields,” McNerney said.
More like this story
- Marimba ‘Mid Winter Party’
- YESTERYEARS: School District No. 3 projects new high school on May Street in 1926
- Are You Ready? Survival 101
- Lyle School celebrates standout science student
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Imagining a world with no winners and no losers
- The Ale List: Sense of Place lecture focuses on ‘hoppy history’
- Free tax help through April in HR and TD
- Sheriff Log, Jan. 24 to 31
- Police Log, Jan. 25 to 31
- Public Records: Building permits, city, January 2016