Tuesday, December 13, 2005
November 16, 2005
Post-season cross country runners Leo Castillo and Erin Jones raced in the USA Track and Field Association’s Junior Olympic regional meet at Sandy High School Saturday afternoon.
The two, who were the top boy and girl runners on the Hood River Valley High School varsity cross country team, got a wet and muddy preview of next year’s Mt. Hood Conference district course.
Castillo, a HRVHS sophomore, is currently preparing for the Dec. 3 Footlocker Regional meet in Walnut, Calif. He ran in the intermediate division of the 5,000-meter race on Saturday, finishing in third place with a time of 17:16.
Jones, a rookie runner and a freshman at HRVHS, ran in the 4,000-meter youth division. According to Coach Kristen Uhler, Jones’ fifth place finish wasn’t bad, considering the wet course conditions and her being sick.
For Jones, the run was a tune-up for next weekend’s elite Border Clash, which she qualified for after a 19th place finish at the Oregon 4A state meet last weekend.
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge