Tuesday, December 13, 2005
November 9, 2005
Planes of the 142nd Fighter Interceptor Group blazing across the sky over Hood River Friday will be just one part of the community’s annual tribute to Americas veterans.
On the ground, the 11 a.m. ceremony will be firmly grounded with familiar faces as well as new participants.
Boy Scouts and the folks from American Legion Post 22 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1479 are the familiar faces, with their roles involving in recognition of the national colors.
Singer Arlene Allegre and her son, Mike Allegre, who will speak, are among the new faces to the event, along with trumpter Kate Brownback, who will close the service by playing Taps.
This year, as war in one part of the world creates ever-wider rifts in American society, it is more important than ever to pay tribute to the men and women who have served, and are now serving, in our military. They deserve our gratitude and respect.
Young National Guard soldiers stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan are soon to return home to Hood River, and this is the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II. Veterans Day touches us all.
If you can take the time Friday to come to the ceremony at Overlook Memorial Park at the junction of Second and State streets, you will experience an event that each year is filled with meaning.
More like this story
- After a winless 2014 season, HRV girls team places third at state tournament
- HAHRC BEATS: November is Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Initiative: Mindfulness Center trains ‘Mental Health First Aid’
- Red Cross recommends iron-rich foods prior to blood donation
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 21
- Pitch and Pool: Kudos for fall success, and a look ahead
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Doing what it takes to be the ‘Finest’
- Overlapping ‘Pray for Snow’ parties happen Saturday
- Entertainment Update for Nov. 21
- B Gorge-us Boutique opens, shares space with Gandara
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge