Wednesday, December 28, 2005
December 10, 2005
Hood River Golf Course Club Pro Casey McCoy recently received two esteemed awards for his participation this season in Oregon Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) competitions.
McCoy, who turned pro in 1995 after a successful college career at Southwest Oklahoma State, won the 2005 PGA Oregon Chapter Championship and was named the 2005 Oregon PGA Player of the Year. He also qualified as one of only four Oregon professionals to play in the prestigious Hudson Cup, which places the top ten professionals against the top 10 armatures in the Northwest.
“I played pretty good this season,” a modest McCoy said. “I didn’t have any really great games and I didn’t have any really bad ones. I was pretty fortunate in that I played solid all year.”
Solid play put McCoy in the money in 18 of the 21 tournaments he played in this season. Highlights from his schedule include eight top-five finishes out of 11 Pro-ams, a second place finish at the Coca-Cola Classic and top ten finishes in the Oregon Open and the Rosauers Cup.
McCoy credits much of his success this season to his being the Hood River Valley High School boys’ varsity golf coach.
“Coaching the team got me on the course a lot more than usual for the sprint,” McCoy said. “I think being out there with the team helped get my own game in better shape going into the season.”
After college, McCoy spent a couple of years playing in mini-tours as a pro, until settling into the Club Pro bit at Oklahoma City, Pumpkin Ridge, the Portland Golf Club and now Hood River Golf and Country Club.
“I plan on playing in as many events as I possibly can next season,” he said. “I am also very excited for the high school season to get started.”
More like this story
- Service Announcements for Nov. 18 edition: Emidio Evangelista-Rodriguez and Kenneth Proctor
- Hood River power outage caused by vehicle accident
- ‘Smokeout’ Thursday encourages tobacco-free living
- Roots and Branches: ‘Melody of hope’
- Yesteryears: Partial eclipse hits Mid-Columbia in 1947
- Pick of the Week: Operation Christmas Child collection this week
- Strong Women get helping hand from Troop 282
- ‘Kitchen Table’ survey: City of Hood River seeks community input on housing
- Elks Students of the Month: Elks select Elizabeth Bailey, Alden Gendreau as October Students of the Month
- Leaf drop-off resumes at City Public Works
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge